The digital transformation of the UK economy is a significant opportunity to drive growth and prosperity for the betterment of both business and citizens. It also offers the chance to reduce poverty and inequalities, improve livelihoods and enable us to better manage growth on a finite planet.
View the four digital priorities as defined in our Brave New World research and learn how business is stepping up to meet the challenge by clicking the icons to your right >>
However, this digital transformation also presents challenges to society. Some forecasts suggest that as many as ten million jobs (35 percent of today’s UK workforce) could be lost due to automation by 2035 alone. And the negative impacts of reduced face-to-face interactions and hyper-connectivity are only just starting to be understood.
In order to understand and define the role of responsible business in this digital era, Business in the Community's digital priorities programme will, over the coming months, combine thought with action and set a new agenda for UK businesses.
The 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are based on the principle of leaving no one behind and aim to tackle poverty, climate change and inequality. These Goals represent the largest ever call for collective action by governments, institutions, businesses and citizens. To achieve the SDGs and so build a sustainable future for everyone, it is essential to develop the positive and mitigate the negative, impacts of business.
Business in the Community’s Responsible Business Map helps companies to navigate and contribute to the SDGs by identifying the key issues and explaining the actions and outcomes needed for businesses to achieve long-term financial value, enabling both society and the planet to thrive.
Digital transformation drives smart forms of economic growth on a finite planet, reduces poverty and inequalities, and improves lives (SDG1, 3 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16, 17).
- Anticipate the unintended consequences of the digital transformation.
- Protect, support and empower customers simplifying data practices; being inclusive, and enabling better choices.
- Embrace the changing nature of work by preparing your employees with digital skills and lifelong learning.
- Anticipate automation creating new roles where technology complements humans, and support communities to manage the transition and extend your employer’s responsibility by providing security job and protection.
- Deliver innovative products and services that serve society by ensuring technology reflects human values and corrects unconscious bias.
- Drive a transparent, inclusive and productive value chain by providing digital solutions and training to achieve minimum social and environmental standards across the value chain. Minimise the environmental impact of operations committing to renewable energy and zero e-waste. Use technology to address corruption, exploitation and environmental harm.
A Brave New World in partnership with: